Thursday, November 8, 2012

happy birthday, grandpa earl!



Today is my Grandpa Earl's birthday! He would've been 89 today! Not even a year ago, he died in a car crash on his way to serve in the Jordan River Temple. He was such a good man--so caring and so devoted to his family. His family, my family, was the one thing he cared about the most on this earth. Us, and his knowledge of the gospel

I could talk him up all day, because of his selflessness, willingness to serve, and his genuine love he had for all people. I really could go on and on, but I'll let you read everything I love about him here, written the day he died.

Instead, I want to share a memory I have of him. Just one simple memory that I adore and think of occasionally.

When I was 15 or 16 years old, my brother, Daniel, and two little sisters, Rachel and Sara, and my mom would help my Grandpa Earl and Grandma Alice at the Humane Society at the DI in Murray. They were service missionaries there, with their black name tags and all. We would put together hygiene kits, new baby kits, and food kits, and did we have some fun back then! 

My Grandpa Earl did not serve a mission when he was 19. He smoked, and was inactive in the church for years and years, until he and his family were sealed in the temple in 1950. I remember one day, putting kits together, he told me, "This is my mission." 

This 80-something year old man had served his mission. Even 60 years later than was recommended, he made an effort to serve his mission. And he went on to serve even more, really until the day he died. My Grandpa Earl is a tremendous example of charity to me, and I will always love him for that.

Grandpa, I miss you, and I still cry when I think of how much I do. I'm so grateful for the knowledge I have of the Plan of Salvation, so that I can look forward to seeing my Grandpa Earl again. I love you, Grandpa! Happy Birthday to you!

...


1 comment:

  1. Thanjs Megs. It's good to remember.... sometimes I forget. I'm glad you're my sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete